Looking for a delicious meat free meal, then this one is for you. Paired with a side of greens it makes a wonderful vegetarian meal while the flan is so creamy and melt in your mouth good!!
Flan crust -
1 Cup wholemeal or buckwheat flour
80g cold butter
1/4 c cold water
2 large leek cut roughly
2 large spring onion cut roughly
1 Cup grated cheese
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/4 Cup milk
1/3 c cream (opt but does make it creamier)
1. Pulse flour and butter in processor till crumb like, add water and process till forms a dough ball. Cover with tea towel or cling wrap and put in fridge to set (15-20 minute)
2. Cook leek and onion in extra virgin olive oil till softened but not browned. Add water to pan to steam them so they soften. Remove from heat.
3. In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk together and season.
4. Roll out pastry and lay in a lined flan dish.
Place leeks/onions over pastry and pour over egg mix.
5. Bake 220deg for approx 30minutes or till filling has set.
6. Cool slightly before cutting.
7. Served with wilted spinach and greens lightly sautéed with Extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
Enjoy whole foods x