With the cooler months fast approaching, it's now time to start thinking about warming and nutritious foods to help keep our immune systems strong, our gut health fighting fit, our joints from feeling too much pain, improving circulation and ensuring our bodies are happy and well fed with seasonal produce.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion diced
5 garlic cloves chopped
1 inch knob of ginger grated
3 carrots diced
2 celery stalks chopped
1 medium sweet potato unpeeled and chopped into 2 cm pieces
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 heaped teaspoon ground/fresh turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
3 bay leaves
2 cups dried lentils rinsed (you can use red/green/puy/brown lentils)
1 x 400 g can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
2 x 400 g tinned tomatoes
1.5 Litres vegetable stock
1. In a large pot, heat oil and saute onion, garlic, celery and carrot till softened slightly.
2. Add in spices and bay leaves, cook till fragrant - 2 minutes.
3. Add in sweet potato, lentils and beans. Coat well with the spice mix.
4. Pour in the stock and tomatoes, combine well, bring to boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer till potato is softened and lentils are cooked, approximately 20 - 30 minutes.
5. Serve with fresh herbs such as parsley or coriander.
6. Enjoy x