Updated: Dec 14, 2017
This roasted free range chicken dish can be adapted to suit any herb/spice blends you have at hand, fresh or dried, there really is no rigidity to the flavours, use what you have or like!
Paired with this deliciously health shredded vegetable salad, you'll have a nutritious meal in no time.
One thing I do stress is that a home roasted chicken (not store bought) be used, this way you can control the fat content, I do not oil my chicken as there is often enough fat in the skin to keep it moist on its' own. The secret is to cover the chicken for most of the cooking process, this helps seal the juices in.
Prepare the salad while chicken is cooking, this will help develop the flavours of the vegetables and act to pickle them slightly.
1 free range chicken
A large handful (approximately 1 cup) finely chopped fresh herbs - I use a mix of tarragon, rosemary, lemon thyme, parsley, basil and dill.
Light sprinkle of salt (optional)
1/2 head purple cabbage finely shredded
2 large carrots grated
2 shallots finely sliced
1 can (400g) lentils drained and rinsed
Light pinch of salt
Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
Juice of 1 large lemon (keep lemon remains to put inside the chicken while cooking)
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
1 t raw honey
Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well before mixing through salad.
1. Cover chicken with herbs and stuff chicken cavity with the juiced lemon remains.
2. Place chicken in a baking dish and cover with baking paper and aluminium foil.
3. Cook on 180° for approximately 45 minutes - 1 hour (time depends on the size of the chicken). Test chicken by piercing the leg to see if juices are pink to clear.
4. Remove baking paper and aluminium foil and roast for a further 10-15 minutes on 200° to crisp the skin up.
5. Once cooked, remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before segmenting and serving with the salad.
6. ENJOY! x